Here’s Your May Wine Club Trifecta!
No need to review the tapes on these wines.
Come try two Italian’s: a Pinot Grigio from Venezie (we’ll tell you where that is!!) . . and a Sangiovese from Tuscany – PLUS a big Paso Robles Cab that makes your Wine Club membership better than a long-shot on Derby Day!
May’s “If You Insist” Wine Club:
2015 Hartford Court
Land’s End Single Vineyard
Pinot Noir –
Leads with black cherry and black raspberry with aromas of dried rose petal.
Layered flavors of dark berries and dried flowers lead to a mid-palate with elegant and polished texture.
The wine ends with a lingering mocha and mineral finish.
Chateau Gassier – Rose – France > Provence. This dry Rose is made from Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah and Vermentino. It has an intense nose with aromas of peach and white flowers. Spicy notes along with scents of clementine make this a refreshing invitation to Spring.
Flora Springs – Merlot – California > Napa Valley. Aromas of cherry, pomegranate and raspberry with hints of espresso bean, cocoa and mint. An unbelievably warm, lush finish.
Muriel – Rioja Reserva – Spain > Rioja. 100% Tempranillo shows complex and intense aromas with hints of vanilla, spices and herbs. Dry as a bone – it begs for some cheese or a juicy steak. Very ripe fruit with a long, pleasant finish.
April’s “If You Insist” Wine Club:
The 2016 Rockpile Zinfandel – a Single Vineyard Zin from Mauritson Winery in Sonoma.
The Rockpile sub-AVA is renowned for its rich and classic Zinfandel. Lots of black fruits, dried fig, black pepper and a dash of oak will rock your world!
This month we’ve got not one . . but TWO great Spanish wines – both from the Rioja region.
Monopole is a blanco made from the Viura grape and the red – Cune – is mostly Tempranillo with some Garnacha to round out the big fruit flavors.
We’ll cap it off with Matthew Fritz – a California > North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon loaded with dark fruit and spice.
March “If You Insist” Wine Club:
2012 Robert Biale Vineyards
Napa Valley – Petite Sirah E.B.A.
EBA stands for “Extended Barrel Age” as this wine was kept for 20 months in wood barrels.
Intense ruby/purple color with sweet blackberry and blueberry fruit, low acidity and lush tannins.
We’ll start you off with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc from Lake County in California – then to France for a classic right-bank red – and cap it off with a big Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile!
February “If You Insist” Wine Club:
2012 Tenute Silvio Nardi
Brunello di Montalcino
Brunello is one of the legendary, collectible wines of Tuscany. This full-bodied wine offers intense aromas and flavors of red berries offset by notes of leather and incense.
Nisia – Old Vine Verdejo – Spain > Rueda. Aromas of white flowers and fresh fruit plus expressive notes of dried herbs.
Donna Laura – Ali Tuscana – Italy > Tuscany. Sangiovese with a bit of Cabernet Sauvignon. Aromas of berry fruit with balanced acidity and ripe tannins.
Finca Sandoval – Salia Red Blend – Spain > Manchuela. Deep and enticing nose of cherries, currants and raspberries. Made from Grenache and Syrah then aged in oak barrels for a perfect “Old World” finish.
January “If You Insist” Wine Club:
2015 Pride Mountain Vineyards Merlot from Napa & Sonoma.
Incredibly expressive aromas of strawberry, blueberry and plum which carry through into a round, luscious palate full of bright berry and fruit notes.
We’ve got a great line up of power wines to roll into the the holidays.
And of course, we always include some “bubblies” to help you wrap up the year.
Please join us this evening as we host the annual Holiday Open House for all our great Wine Club Members!
December “If You Insist” Wine Club:
2013 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon
Napa > Rutherford
From the legendary Rutherford AVA this classic Napa Cab shows
flavors of cassis, blackberries, plums and black currants. Distinct notes of cigar box, oak and earthy spices!
Thanksgiving Wines With a Twist at Cork & Barrel
As Thanksgiving is an American holiday we thought we’d put a twist on the traditional recommendations of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir for your big dinner.
Since we all (at some point) . . came from “somewhere else” . . we chose a Chardonnay from Italy and a Pinot Noir from Germany – plus a big Shiraz from Australia!
Amazing expressions of all these grapes but from “somewhere else”.
All three are part of our November Wine Club (which BTW – makes a great holiday gift)! No visa required!
November “If You Insist” Wine Club:
2015 Trefethen Oak Knoll District Cabernet Sauvignon
Fragrant notes of blackberry, bay leaf, coffee, and chocolate. The palate is supported by velvety tannins and features flavors of red cherries and baking spices.
This elegant wine pairs best with fine cuts of beef or venison.
Time for Your October Wine Club
• Masciarellli – Trebbiano – Italy > Abruzzo. Delightful and expressive combination of stone fruits with a round, concentrated mid-palate and minerality on the long finish.
• Paso a Paso – Tempranillo – Spain > La Mancha. Aromas of red berries, spices and dried flowers. The palate shows fresh currants, cherry flavors and fine grained tannins.
• Domaine de Fondreche – Cote du Rhone – France > Rhone Valley > Ventoux. Aromas of black cherries and blueberries. Medium to full-bodied with hints of dried herbs and baking spices adding to the complexity.
October “If You Insist” Wine Club:
Amarone della Valpolicella
Amarone is a fine Italian wine from the Valpolicella area in the provence of Veneto in northern Italy.
Aromas of black cherries and blueberries with hints of dried herbs and baking spices.
Time for Your September Wine Club
• Solena – Pinot Gris – Oregon > Willamette Valley. Packed with fresh pear fruit flavors with light touches of cinnamon. Has a lush and creamy finish.
• Rosemary Lane – Marselan – France > Languedoc. Marselan is a hybrid of two grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache. Nose of black fruit, cocoa, cedar and herbs. Juicy with nice acidity.
• Domaine de Pallus – Cabernet Franc – France > Loire Valley. Leads with violets, rose petals, dried raspberries and woodsy notes. Silky ripe raspberry on the palate with dusty tannins.
September “If You Insist” Wine Club:
Sonoma > Alexander Valley
76% Cab, 12% Merlot, 3% Petite Verdot, 2% Malbec.
Bright and mellow on the palate it shows black raspberry, cola and brown sugar flavors offset by earthy undertones.
Special bottle price for Wine Club members PLUS we’ll be pouring the Cyrus “By the Glass” at the Pick-Up Party!
• La Cana – Albarino – Spain. Aromas of lemon zest, baking spices, floral notes pear and a bit of mineral fill you nose of this round, smooth-textured savory white.
• Castello di Albola – Chianti Classico – Italy > Tuscany. Light ruby red with strawberry and other red fruits. Reveals lively cherry and exotic spice that leads to a delicate finish.
• E. Guigal – Cote du Rhone – France. Lots of ripe Syrah characteristics. Black olives, smoked earth, pepper and plenty of dark fruit all emerge from this inky-colored Cotes du Rhone.